Medicaid Expansion’s Economic Impact
Since 2014, State Network has examined the impact of Medicaid expansion on state budgets and economies. These resources break down the economic impact in states that have expanded, what other states could expect under an expansion and, most recently, what federal repeal or spending caps could mean for states. You can also get the latest data and facts on Medicaid Expansion’s impact on state budgets, the economy, uncompensated care costs and more at our Medicaid Expansion Resource Center.
Economic Impact Of Expansion
Use these tools to determine areas of expansion-related savings and revenue generation in your state, or to assess the impact that changes to federal Medicaid funding could have on your state.
- Data Points to Consider When Assessing Proposals to Cap Federal Medicaid Funding – February 2017
- Assessment Tool and Index – December 2016
A Look at Budget Impact in Expansion States
Read about the savings and revenue gains that expansion states are realizing along with a deeper dive on areas of savings and funding streams including uncompensated care, criminal justice, Indian Health Services and more.
- Medicaid and the Opioid Crisis – July 2016
- Economics of Medicaid Expansion presentation – June 2016
- 11-state analysis – March 2016
- Expansion and Criminal Justice Costs – November 2015
- Medicaid and Indian Health Services – November 2015
- Impact on Uncompensated Care Costs – June 2015
- 8-state analysis – April 2015
- 8-state analysis presentation – April 2015
- 2-state analysis – March 2015
A Look at Potential Budget Impact in Non-Expansion States
Read about the potential budget impact in select states if they expanded their Medicaid program.
Examining Long-Term Budget Impact in States
Read what economic gains states are projecting due to Medicaid expansion.
- Colorado – June 2016 (download PDF)
- Arkansas update – March 2016
- Arkansas – October 2015
- New Mexico – February 2016
- Kentucky – February 2015
Impact Of Repeal, Spending Caps
Read the latest assessment of possible plans to repeal Medicaid expansion or cap federal spending and what it could mean for local economies and residents.
- Repeal of the ACA Medicaid Expansion: Critical Questions for States – Updated December 22, 2016
- Implications for States of Repealing the Medicaid Expansion presentation – December 2016
- Capping Federal Medicaid Funding: Key Financing Issues for States – December 2016
- Block Grants and Other Proposals to Cap Federal Medicaid Spending presentation – January 2017
Flexibility And Innovation In Today’s Medicaid
Read about how Medicaid is leading delivery system reforms as well how alternative expansion waivers have given states flexibility to tailor their programs.
- Overview of Alternative Medicaid Expansion Waivers – January 2017